Danish sportswear brand hummel takes a plunge in Indian market
Hummel International, a Danish sports lifestyle brand, which recently entered the Indian market aims to rake in Rs 20 crore as revenue in its first full year of operations, Henrik Svenning, chief commercial officer told. “We will invest 10%-13% of our revenue into marketing and advertising. Of this, 60% will be put into digital and the remaining 40% will be diverted towards above-the-line (ATL) marketing initiatives, including sponsoring events and appointing brand ambassadors,” Svenning said.
The total investment made by the company in the current fiscal, ranges between $5 million – $6 million. This includes investment across various streams including warehouse, brick-and-mortar, supply chain, among others.
In an effort to attract consumers in the age bracket of 20 years -35 years, the company initially launched its products on e-commerce websites such as Myntra and Jabong. The sportswear brand which competes with the likes of Nike, Puma and Adidas, has been quick to roll out five brick-and-mortar stores in Chennai, Surat, Bengaluru, Pune and Amritsar, early this month. “We were testing the Indian market with our brand and the success on e-commerce marketplace propelled us to make the decision to enter the market with a long-term goal to establish ourselves here,” he added.
It will also be available on multi-brand retail outlets besides other e-commerce marketplace such as Amazon and Flipkart.
Furthermore, Hummel will retail a wide array of products beyond sports shoes such as T-shirts, sneakers, jackets, track pants, training jackets, sweatshirts, bags, accessories amongst others. According to Svenning, the company is looking at India as a hub for their expansion into South-East Asian market. “We visualise India as a gateway into South-East Asian market and within this year we will foray into the market such as Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand.”
Hummel has two warehouses, and one office based in Delhi with 13 people as staff.